Job Title: Production Worker
Wage Grade: 1
Reports To: Shift Foreman
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reviewed/Revised: July 2011
Assists operators, to perform duties necessary to cast aluminum billet, sheet ingot or secondary
aluminum ingot production. Also performs general production duties throughout the plant as
necessary. The job description of "Production Helper includes the following job classifications:
furnace helper, saw helper, stacker, casting helper, strapper, and any other entry level
production position that may be developed in the future, unless a specific job title is designated.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists in the direct chill casting of aluminum billet and slab ingot according to instructions.
- Using hand held tool(s) skims impurities from molten metal molds, furnace runners and boxes.
- Using cranes moves material or finished goods from casting pits to designated location.
- Assists in maintenance/cleaning of bag house, and associated equipment as needed.
- Assists in preparations for casting metal by preparing tools, coating molds, and runners.
- Hauls materials from storage or production areas to furnace production areas as required.
- Assist in skimming the molten metal pump.
- Assist in weighing alloying elements to be added to the furnace.
- Move materials from one location to another including un-piling- piling, un-stacking- stacking
and strapping as required.
- Transports materials to scales, and weighs, tags, and records transports.
- Prepares finished metal or other material for shipment as required or directed.
- Keeps area and equipment clean, and in proper working order.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Management.
While performing normal duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk,
and use hands frequently. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral
vision, and depth perception to read instruments, operate material handling equipment and
identify plant color code system. Reasonable accommodations will be made for individuals with
disabilities in accordance to legal requirements.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical
parts, fumes or airborne particles, and extreme heat. The employee is frequently exposed to
outside weather conditions and vibration. The noise level in this work environment requires
hearing protection. Reasonable accommodations will be made for individuals with disabilities in
accordance to legal requirements.
Minimum experience or requirements:
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to read a limited number of two and three syllable word and to recognize similarities
and differences between words and between series of numbers. Ability to print and speak
- Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10’s and 100’s.
Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurements,
volume, and distance.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or
oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in
- Routine and generally repetitive duties requiring little or no independent action or